Memories and Visions: China's Ties with the Outside World through the Belt and Road Initiative
(Xi'an, China, September 22-25, 2017)
School of Foreign Languages and Cultures, Office for Humanities and Social Sciences Research, and International Cooperation Office,
Northwestern Polytechnical University (NWPU/西北工业大学),
Call for Papers
This multidisciplinary conference aims to explore themes and topics on China’s ties with the outside world through the Belt and Road (B&R) Initiative. Inspired by trade and cultural interactions between China and the countries and regions along the historical overland and maritime Silk Road, the B&R Initiative represents China’s vision and strategy for developing mutually beneficial relations with the outside world in our rapidly changing era.
Located in Xi’an, the birthplace of Chinese civilization and gateway to the legendary Silk Road, NWPU provides an ideal venue to promote ongoing dialogues on the B&R Initiative. The conference seeks to bring together Chinese and international scholars from diverse transnational and transcultural perspectives to engage creatively and critically in conversations on cultural and socio-political issues related to the Initiative. We invite submissions of papers, reports, and pre-formed panels on topics related, but not limited, to the following themes:
1.Chinese Culture Overseas: Past, Present, Perspectives
2. Cultural and Historical Memories of the Overland/Maritime Silk Road
3. China's Soft Power and the Belt and Road Initiative
4. Multicultural Interactions and Global-Local Nexus in the Context of the Belt and Road Initiative
5. The Role of Chinese Communities Overseas in Developing the Belt and Road Initiative
6. Language, Translation,and Cross-Cultural Communication
7. Emerging Trends in Multilingual and Multicultural Education
8. The Impact of Transnationalism on Migration and Return Migration
9. The Influence of Think Tanks and NGOs in Sustainable Development
10. The Coverage of the Belt and Road Initiative in Transnational Chinese Literature and Media Networks
Organizing Committee Chairs
Chair: Xiao-huang Yin, Professor and Dean, School of Foreign Languages and Cultures, NWPU; and Professor, Occidental College, USA
Co-Chair: Zhang Yi, Professor and Associate Dean, School of Foreign Languages and Cultures, NWPU
Conference Languages: Chinese and English
Proposal (250 words) with a biography (200 words) should be submitted electronically to Ms. Li Miao and Dr. Zang Xiaojia at email@example.com by July 10, 2017. Invitations will be sent byJuly 31, 2017. Selected papers may be invited for publication in Chinese and English by NWPU Press.
Conference Registration Fees: 600 RMB (50% discount for graduate students). The conference may cover accommodations and local transportation for invited participants. For registration and logistic details, contact Ms. Li Miao at 029-88430908, Dr. Zang Xiaojia at 15091098989, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.